Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mubber's Day


I don't remember when or where this happened, but a while back some kid wished me a Happy Mubber's Day. When I inquired as to what a 'mubber' was, he merely replied "Why, one who mubs, of course." I gave him a quizzical glance, so he added: "Well, you're the mubbiest person I know!"

This confused me, to say the least. Was this 'mub' a verb or an adjective? It couldn't be similar to 'bread' or 'pickle' (you can have a pickle/piece of bread or you can pickle/bread something) since 'mub' was used as a verb and an adjective instead of a verb and a noun. It also couldn't work similarly to 'smile' (smiling or to smile). It could have worked if instead he had said something such as "you're the most mubbing person I know", but the "mubbiest"? No way, Josie.

Maybe 'mub' worked in congruence with 'wet' (the wettest or to wet) but it didn't seem to work out well, considering that being the wettest involves being wet instead of wetting others. However, since 'wet' seems to be the closest living relative to 'mub', I'm forced to go with that conclusion. Maybe this individual was actually wishing himself a Happy Mubber's Day, and I was an unfortunate victim of a mubbing.

Or maybe 'mub' is just 'bum' backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment